What are you craving?

Monday, March 31, 2014

Bara-Ya(薔薇屋)

You know how food made with love tastes that much better? An elderly couple run this hole-in-a-wall Japanese restaurant in Azabu Juban street. The husband makes everything, whilst the wife takes orders and serves rice. It's a perfect example of team work. 

Tekka-Don 鉄火丼

1000 yen
 The maguro in the tekka-don melted in my mouth. It was so fresh and the marinade turned each bite into a bite of heaven. Even the sides took me to cloud nine. I made sure to pretty much polish my rice bowl after this meal. -Daniel

Ten-Don 天丼

1100 yen 
Tempura is always a hit or miss. It either comes out too oily or too dry. This ten-don amazed me though. At first I was a little sad that the amount of rice seemed a little scarce, but it was actually the perfect ratio to the amount of tempura I had. Kudos to the wife, great eye-measuring skills! Not to mention the home made taste of all the side dishes which included tofu, tsukemono (pickled vegetables), a mini salad and miso soup. It's a home away from home kind of meal. -Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment