What are you craving?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Café Belge

Café Belge at the Ritz-Carlton

Oysters Gratin

80 Dhs
 
You probably know by now that if it's cheesy, I'll order it. The oysters grilled with cheese and spinach were satisfying, but I wish it was warmer when it arrived at the table. Also, I felt the rock salts were unnecessary (Although I understand it looks fancayyy) as some chunks of it went in my mouth and came right out. -Mari

Endive Salad

55 Dhs

Warm Asparagus (with Truffles and Fried Poached Egg)

105 Dhs


Oxtail Cromesquis

55 Dhs
This appetizer was amazing. The mashed potato with chives and white truffle, the cromesquis, and the mushrooms went together extremely well. The shredded oxtail was extremely tender and was generously packed inside the perfectly goldened croquettes. Everything about this appetizer was perfect, and I'd definitely order it again. -Daniel 

Sea Bass 'Entre Sambre et Meuse'

165 Dhs

Grilled Salmon

150 Dhs

Simplicity at its finest; grilled salmon, creamy mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.  I would've given my meal a five star if I only I wasn't interrupted by aluminum foil from the vegetables in my mouth. -Mari

Roasted Duck Breast

145 Dhs
The textures in this dish were perfect. Juicy and tender duck, crispy skin, crunchy barley, and mashed pumpkin. The taste had a hint of sweetness from the sweetened Kriek lambic sauce. All the flavors in this dish came together and created one extremely pleasurable taste in every bite. -Daniel

Moules (Champagne Cream)

130 Dhs


The mussels weren't fresh and had to be sent back. Really disappointing because this restaurant was supposed to be based around 'good' mussels. 

Chocolate Moelleux (with Banana Compote)

55 Dhs

I was super disappointed when our waitress told me "the waffle machine is broken" so I couldn't have my Belgian Waffles. Instead she recommended the Chocolate Moelleux. There wasn't any spectacular about it just that it was a chocolate cake filled with hot chocolate cream. Totally average. -Mari

Strawberries and Rhubarb on Coconut Iced Nougat

50 Dhs

Grandma's Apple Beignet

40 Dhs
When I ordered the apple beignet our waitress gave me an "are you sure?" look. The beignet came out and looked like they'd be tasty. As I cut into the first one though, I started wishing I had listened. There was barely any apple inside the beignet and the dough had a strong taste of yeast. -Daniel

Cafe Belge had a great ambience. It was a disappointment that the food could not keep up with the standards of the restaurant interior and theme. The appetizers and main courses were satisfying, so it was a shame that we had to end our night on a bad note. It's important for a newly started restaurant to encourage repeaters, and we don't see ourselves going back again; at least, not for the desserts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment