What are you craving?

Thursday, February 27, 2014

"好吃吗?" (Is it good?)

Getting ready to review Royal China!
Jasmine Flower Tea
✭✭✭✩✩
~30 Dhs
It was like any other tea, just with flower petals going into your mouth every sip. -Mari

Mixed Seafood Lettuce Wrap

48 Dhs
We would have to agree that this was our favorite dish of the night, the aperitif. We loved the texture of the seafood and water chestnut combined, topped with dark soy sauce and wrapped in crisp lettuce.

Mixed Seafood on Crispy Fried Noodle

52 Dhs
It was bland and soggy by the time I got to it. Tasteless and definitely needed some more vinegar or soy sauce for flavor. Half way through the noodles became a hassle to eat- I had to question the 'crispy' part of the name. -Mari

I didn't even bother once I took the first bite of the noodles. The flavor was extremely plain and the noodles were at an awkward state between crispy and soggy and there was plenty of good food on the table. -Daniel

Fried Rice with Diced Chicken and Salted Fish

42 Dhs
No chinese meal is complete without a good bowl of fried rice, and this just did the trick. -Mari

Braised Bean curd with Mixed Seafood

78 Dhs
Thinking back, this dish wasn't memorable at all. Like the 'crispy' fried noodles it lacked flavor, and the tofu was really dense. -Mari

We had braised bean curd? - Daniel

Lemon Chicken

68 Dhs
I would say this dish is more for the Western customers, somewhat similar to the 'fried chicken' concept. The chicken is tender and crispy. Not much to complain about here! - Mari

I have to agree with Mari on this one. When I was in China I did not see lemon chicken in any restaurant we went to, and have never seen it featured as "Chinese" until today. Regardless, it was good chicken.  -Daniel

Garlic Pak Choy

48 Dhs
Whenever I'm at a Chinese restaurant, I have to order greens. I always contemplate between Kailan and pak choy, and it has to be garlic sauteed or XO sauce. Today I chose the garlic sauteed Pak Choy, it just compliments the rest of the dishes so well! -Mari

Royal China's garlic Pak Choy was similar to Din Tai Fung's (which is amazing) and was a nice part of the meal. -Daniel

Toffee Banana with a scoop of Vanilla Ice-cream

50 Dhs

The toffee banana was a great way to end the meal. The crispy toffee shell complimented the moist banana inside really well. The ice cream was the cherry on top and made this dessert perfect. - Daniel

The atmosphere was nice but very cliche, the food was quality Chinese food. The only thing I would change if I could is the service. Our waiter was very antsy/nervous and gave off an uncomfortable aura. Overall though the experience at Royal China was good. - Daniel

Being Asian, there's something about walking into a restaurant that stereotypes what 'Asia' is. When they use modern decorations such as red velvet curtains and white leather seats it throws me off of what's supposed to be 'authentic' Chinese food. Otherwise, I enjoyed our dinner. Nothing completes a good meal like good company. -Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment